What is Natural Shampoo
Research shows that using commercial shampoos regularly can actually damage your hair and scalp. They contain ingredients that can make your hair drier and more brittle over time. Chemicals such as sulfate cleanse your hair and scalp thoroughly but can make them dry too. Even a small amount of sulfate can damage your hair, especially if you have curly or kinky hair type. Other than sulfate, there are other chemicals that can be harsh or toxic enough to cause hair and scalp to deteriorate. This is why natural shampoos are popular nowadays. They contain just enough amount of nontoxic chemicals, to keep the products effective without making them too damaging for hair.
However, it is important to remember that just because a shampoo claims to be natural, does not mean that it is. There are no regulations regarding natural formulas. It is up to the brand’s discretion to keep their ingredients all natural. Make sure that you know which ingredients to avoid in your shampoo.
Natural shampoos mainly use ingredients that are naturally derived. There are preservatives and surfactants that come from botanical ingredients. They also use various natural extracts to increase the nourishing properties of the shampoo. A natural shampoo provides enough nutrients to maintain hair health and strength. If you have a sensitive scalp, it is best for you to use organic or natural shampoo. There are other kinds of shampoo that suit your hair type. For more information about the various shampoos for your hair type, visit the page below.
Why Use Natural Shampoo
Regular shampoos help keep your hair clean and smooth, however, they can damage it too. Natural shampoos do not contain ingredients that can dry or damage your hair. Instead, they use extracts and other botanical ingredients that nourish your hair and scalp. You can get many benefits from using natural shampoos without putting your body at risk.
By using natural shampoos, you can avoid exposing your hair and body to harmful chemicals. Many hair and scalp concerns like dandruff, can happen when you use harsh and irritating formulas. Your scalp reacts to the ingredients found in your shampoo. It is the same for the state of your hair. Using regular shampoos can increase your hair’s dryness and brittleness. Commercial shampoos often contain harmful chemicals that cause health concerns too.
Natural shampoos are created without the use of toxic chemicals that can harm your body. However, they are not completely free of chemicals. In fact, some natural shampoos use chemicals that are safe enough to apply to hair and scalp. These ingredients make the products more effective. They help improve hair health and appearance too. These chemicals are added to natural shampoos in controlled amounts. This allows the products to have the desired effects without damaging hair or scalp.
Natural shampoos have a mild formula that can be used daily to cleanse hair and scalp. They also help soothe the scalp to allow the follicles to absorb moisture and nutrients efficiently. Use a natural shampoo if you feel that your hair continues to lose its shine, volume, elasticity, and resilience. These can be signs of product buildup. A natural shampoo will get rid of the impurities that weigh your hair down.
Pair up a natural shampoo with the best conditioners that will leave hair soft and smooth. These conditioners help support the effects of natural shampoo to maintain the luster and strength of your hair. Learn more about the different types of conditioner you can use with natural shampoos here.
Top Ingredients of Natural Shampoos
The shampoo that you use keeps your hair shiny, healthy, and resilient. It is a source of nourishment for the scalp. It is best to avoid harmful chemicals in shampoos and instead look for these ingredients.
Carrier oils and essential oils have various benefits for hair and scalp. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids. Natural shampoos use organic oils in order to give the formula remarkable nourishing effects. Essential and carrier oils come from plants or botanical ingredients. These oils have a high concentration of nutrients that are good for your hair. They have therapeutic effects that help promote healthy hair growth too.
There are various types of natural extracts. Some of them include natural butters, oils, gels, and juice. Shea butter and almond butter are two of the popular extracts used in shampoos. Just like organic oils, they are rich in various nutrients that help restore the health of your hair. There are natural extracts that can be used instead of preservatives and surfactants too.
Other than oils and extracts, there are botanical ingredients used in making shampoos. They contain nutrients and substances that help improve the effects of the shampoo. Botanical ingredients have therapeutic effects good for your scalp too. Different parts of a plant or tree may be used as botanical ingredients in shampoos. Some types of food are used as ingredients in hair products due to the nutrients that they provide as well.
Minerals or deposits such as ash, mud, and salt are popular ingredients in natural shampoos. They contain high amounts of minerals that help with hair growth. Due to the notable therapeutic effects of these minerals, they are known to help with scalp concerns and hair damage.
Ingredients to Avoid
Some ingredients are too harsh and toxic for your hair and scalp to handle. Other than drying your tresses, you might experience irritation or allergic reactions from exposure to these ingredients. Make sure to avoid the following substances in shampoos:
- Sulfate – Often listed as sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laurel sulfate in labels, sulfate is an ingredient found in many personal care products. Sulfate is present in shampoos, soaps, and cleansers. Sulfate is a detergent and surfactant that can dry your hair and irritate your scalp. It strips the moisture from hair and leaves it dry.
- Paraben – Preservatives such as paraben prevent formulas from spoiling, thus prolonging their shelf life. However, paraben is harmful to your health. Since shampoos are applied to scalp directly, parabens can be absorbed through the scalp. According to research, paraben can increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Polyethylene Glycols (PEG) – PEG is a substance used to thicken shampoos. It is derived from petroleum, making it a harmful ingredient for the body. Byproducts of PEG such as ethylene oxide and 1, 4-dioxane are very toxic.
- Alcohol – Alcohol is a drying substance that strips moisture from your hair, leaving it dry and prone to breakage. Not all alcohols are bad for your hair. Cetearyl and Stearyl alcohol are not as damaging or drying for your hair compared to other types of alcohol. Isopropyl and propanol are alcohols that you should avoid.
- Dimethicone – Your shampoo may contain plastic in the form of dimethicone. This substance is a silicone that can make your hair shiny by coating each strand with the formula. However, it can weigh your hair down and make it limp. Dimethicone prevents your hair from absorbing moisture and nutrients as well. It can cause product buildup on your scalp and hair too.
- Synthetic Fragrance – Fragrance is a general term for various ingredients used to give the product its distinct scent. Some of these ingredients can damage your hair and irritate your scalp. Fragrance can contain phthalates, which is a common ingredient in shampoos. Phthalates are solvents that can dry your hair and irritate your scalp. Phthalate can trigger various health concerns as well.
- Synthetic Colors – Shampoos that impart color to your hair may contain dyes and colorants that can be risky for your health. Synthetic colors can be derived from petroleum or coal tar. They are linked to various health concerns including cancer.
Benefits of Using Natural Shampoo
Natural shampoos do not contain any harmful chemicals, however, they are not completely organic as well. They contain chemicals that can increase their effectivity without making them harmful to your hair and overall health. Here are some of the numerous benefits you can get from using natural shampoos.
Restores Hair Health
Your hair deteriorates gradually as you continue to use normal shampoos. The various chemicals that strip the moisture from your hair do not only damage the strands but your scalp too. A dry scalp will have a hard time growing hair. Product buildup on scalp prevents moisture and nourishment from nourishing the follicles, which leads to the growth of weak and brittle strands. Once completely damaged, hair follicles may lose their ability to grow hair again. Natural shampoos prevent this from happening. It restores hair to make it shiny and strong again. Using natural shampoos remove the buildup of chemicals and product residues from your scalp in order to allow moisture and nutrients to nourish the follicles.
Maintains Hair Strength
The resilience of your hair depends on its health. Healthy hair can withstand daily damage. Using a natural shampoo improves its health and strength. It is important to cut back on chemicals that weaken hair in order to reduce breakage. Natural shampoo repairs the natural barrier of the strands and fortifies hair to prevent breakage. The botanical ingredients found in the shampoo nourish hair from roots to tips in order to improve your hair. They help provide moisture as well to support healthy hair growth.
Stimulates Scalp for Healthy Hair Growth
In order to grow healthy hair, you should keep your scalp clean and healthy. The various oils, extracts, vitamins, and minerals found in natural shampoos promote healthy hair growth. They provide nutrients that your scalp needs to support the anagen phase of hair. They help balance oil production and pH levels on scalp. This helps keep hair moisturized and reduces the risks of increased porosity.
Cleanses without Drying Hair
Shampoos that contain chemicals can dry your hair and damage it in the long run. They make hair more brittle and prone to breakage too. This leads to frizzy, damaged hair. Since natural shampoos do not contain drying or harsh chemicals, they cleanse hair effectively without drying hair. Some shampoos do not cleanse hair well, which leaves dirt, flakes, and product residues on scalp. With natural shampoo, you can get fresh and clean scalp all day long.
Suitable for All Hair Types
Whether you have straight, wavy, curly, or kinky hair, natural shampoos are for you. They contain the right amount of nontoxic chemicals to cleanse your hair without making it frizzy or damaged. Natural shampoos are suitable for all hair types and help bring out their best form. Make sure to get high-quality natural shampoo to prevent sensitive reactions.
Most chemicals used in natural shampoos are derived from organic ingredients. For example, you can get preservatives from plants and extracts. Panthenol, a popular ingredient in hair products, comes from a component of honey. While panthenol is considered a chemical, it comes from honey, which is a natural ingredient. Certified natural shampoos use sustainable ingredients to help protect both your hair and health from damage.
Tips for Choosing Natural Shampoos
Experts now recommend that you switch to natural shampoos in order to maintain the health of your hair. There are actually benefits when you use natural shampoos. Other than avoiding hair damage, you can have a healthier body and mind by choosing the safer option. If you are looking for the best natural shampoo, keep these things in mind:
- Not all chemicals are bad for hair. Sure, many chemicals can damage your hair and cause health concerns. However, this does not mean that they are all bad for your hair. In fact, some chemicals such as panthenol help improve your hair. Other examples are ascorbic acid and tocopheryl acetate, which are forms of vitamins that nourish and protect hair.
- Natural shampoo is a mix of organic ingredients and all kinds of chemicals. As explained above, not all chemicals are harmful and not all of them are good for your hair. There are only selected types of chemicals that should be used in natural shampoos. Safe and nourishing chemicals mixed with organic ingredients support healthy hair growth.
- Learn more about a brand. Before you buy a product, get to know the brand. Some brands claim that their product is natural even if it is not. Check out the brand to determine whether the product is natural or not. Make sure that these brands use the best ingredients to make natural shampoos too.
- Find shampoos that are certified by agencies or regulators. This does not only apply to organic shampoos. Regulating bodies such as FDA and Cruelty-Free International has standards for the quality of shampoos. It is best for you to choose products certified by these agencies.
Don’t let your hair suffer from damage. Switch to natural shampoos for a gentle formula that nourishes your hair and scalp. Use a suitable shampoo that leaves your hair healthy and shiny. High-quality shampoo from the best brands will improve your hair and bring out its best form. Visit this page to find out more information about the best brands of natural shampoo.