Top 10 Best-Selling Head Lice Shampoo
Head lice are contagious and can spread fast among families. It is a serious condition that can cause itchiness and scalp irritation. The best type of head lice shampoos contain ingredients that kill head lice and nits. These top ten head lice shampoos cleanse your scalp and protect it from head lice infestation.
RID is a best-selling lice brand that offers effective lice killing shampoo. When used properly, you can protect your scalp from infestation. It works as a remedy for those already affected. The formula works as a shampoo and conditioner in one. It does not leave a residue on scalp to prevent dandruff from building up.
Tea tree oil is a well-known ingredient that fights lice and dandruff. It has potent antibacterial and antifungal properties that will get rid of lice and nits. Shiny Leaf, a leading hair care brand, created tea tree oil shampoo to cleanse scalp and keep it fresh. Their formula contains other nourishing extracts that improve the health of hair and scalp. Shiny Leaf Tea Tree Oil Shampoo works for all hair types.
- AlternaKids Head Lice Treatment Shampoo
Kids have a sensitive scalp that needs gentler shampoo. You will love the ingredients used for the shampoo. An all-natural formula is safer and more nourishing for both hair and scalp. Kids can enjoy lice-free scalp and softer hair. It works for adults too. What makes this formula effective is the blend of essential oils such as peppermint, citronella, rosemary, and tea tree. These oils prevent lice from living on your scalp.
- Maple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
Tea tree oil will prevent lice from living in your scalp while soothing itchiness and irritation. Maple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo cleanses hair without causing dryness. It helps get rid of dandruff caused by frequent scratching. It also removes oil and dirt on scalp effectively to keep your scalp fresh and clean.
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint Moisturizing Shampoo
Get refreshingly clean hair and scalp with Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint Moisturizing Shampoo. It gives scalp a cooling sensation and moisturizes hair to make it softer to touch. It contains various essential oils that nourish scalp to keep it healthy and lice-free.
- Fairy Tales Rosemary Lice Repel Shampoo
Fairy Tales Rosemary Lice Repel Shampoo will keep your entire family safe from head lice. It does not contain sulfate or other harsh chemicals that can damage hair. The formula of this lice-repelling shampoo is made from various extracts such as rosemary, citronella, tea tree, and geranium. These extracts are effective in killing head lice.
Protect kids and the whole family from head lice. Lice Shield Shampoo contains a blend of natural essential oils that are good for hair and scalp. Its formula is especially good for kids. It helps cleanse scalp and condition hair to keep it tangle-free. The formula is gentle enough for daily use.
Eliminate lice and nit with regular use of Schooltime Shampoo. This shampoo has a potent formula that gets rid of stubborn lice and nits. It works to remove the glue that makes nits stick to hair. Schooltime Shampoo is hypoallergenic, making it safe to use for kids.
- Honeydew Lice Prevention Shampoo
Honeydew Lice Prevention Shampoo uses a botanical formula that features the powers of rosemary and tea tree oil to prevent head lice. It is good for sensitive scalp with its hypoallergenic solution. The shampoo contains lavender oil as well. The oil aids in promoting healthy hair growth.
- SoCozy Boo! Lice Scaring Shampoo
Chase away lice, nits, and dandruff with SoCozy Boo! Lice Scaring Shampoo. It has a gentle yet powerful formula that strengthens hair to keep the pests at bay. The shampoo gives your hair a soothing smell made from a blend of extracts such as peppermint, rosemary, and lavender.
Find a shampoo for your hair type that addresses your hair concerns including head lice and dandruff. Here is our list of the best shampoo brands:
Head Lice: Where Do They Come From?
Head lice are insects that feed on human blood. They live on scalp and may cause several issues such as itchiness and irritation. They can also affect emotional and social behaviors of the infected. These parasites can be found on scalp, eyebrows, and even eyelashes.
Is it contagious?
Poor hygiene or any disease does not cause Head lice. The most common reason for head lice is through contagion. You can only get it if you are exposed to someone with head lice. You can contact head lice by using the comb, towel, hair ties, or other personal accessories of the infected.
Head lice infestation is a widespread hair concern for children and their families around the world. It is more common for kids in nursery, preschool and elementary school. Kids can get head lice from school or from playing with children affected by the condition. Head lice can be transferred through physical contact with the hair of an infected person.
Types of Lice
Lice live in different areas of your body. The three different types of lice differ from size and habits. Here are the three types of lice:
- Head Lice – Head lice are often found on head and neck area. They live by sucking your blood, which causes itchiness and irritation. They lay eggs and attach it to strands of hair. Head lice thrive on oily and dirty scalp. Average size of adult head lice is 2.1 – 3.3 mm.
- Body Lice – Lice found in various areas of the body are the only kind of lice that can transmit diseases. They live on clothing and may lay eggs on them. However, they often move to your body to feed. This causes an itchy sensation. Average size of adult body lice is 2.3 – 3.6 mm.
- Pubic Lice – Pubic lice are often attached to hair on genital areas but may be present in other areas of your body too. The average size of pubic lice is 1.1 – 1.8 mm.
Head Lice Lifespan
Head lice populate by laying eggs on strands of hair. They often attach their eggs to the base of the shaft because they need to be close to scalp to feed. Head lice eggs are called nits. It takes 6-9 days for nits to hatch and turn into a nymph. Nymphs turn into adult head lice after 7-12 days. Adult head lice can live as long as 30 days in your scalp. They do not survive without a host after 1-2 days.
How to Kill Head Lice
Having head lice is a scalp concern that can get worse. It is best to prevent further infestation before it gets worse. It can make the scalp itch by moving. Head lice irritate the scalp when they feed. They can also cause sore spots. To kill head lice, you can use medications or treatment shampoos. Most treatments for head lice are pesticides, which can cause a burning sensation on scalp.
They kill the parasites and get rid of the nits that cling to hair strands. You can also use topical or oral medications to help prevent lice infestation. Most topical solutions contain ingredients that kill lice.
What Is Head Lice Shampoo?
Head lice shampoo uses a formula that cleanses hair and scalp while killing head lice. Most of these formulas also contain ingredients that work against head lice infestation. Using shampoos are safer and gentler on scalp compared to potent treatments applied. Since kids are more affected by this scalp concern, most shampoos are made to address the sensitivity of their scalp and hair.
Ingredients in the Shampoo That Help Remove Head Lice
Head lice are hard to remove just by cleansing hair every day. Lice and nits are stubborn and may cling to hair even with regular shower. To remove these insects, you should use a shampoo that contains the following ingredients:
- Pyrethrin – Pyrethrin is a type of organic compound extracted from Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium. They are insecticides that target an insect’s nervous system. Pyrethrin is safe for adults and children. This ingredient works by paralyzing lice and preventing them from feeding in scalp, which kills the insects.
- Tea tree oil – Tea tree oil is an extract of tea tree leaves. It has one of the highest antibacterial and antifungal properties. The oil kills bacteria, fungus, and insects to help protect scalp from head lice. It is a good remedy for head lice infestation because it is gentle on scalp. Most shampoos that contain tea tree oil are effective in killing head lice. These shampoos help soothe inflammation and irritation caused by head lice. They improve scalp and hair health as well.
- Permethrin -Permethrin works just like pyrethrin – by attacking the nervous system of head lice. A small amount of permethrin in shampoos is effective in killing nymphs and adult lice. However, they do not work against nits.
Other Tips to Help Get Rid Of Head Lice
Head lice can damage your scalp and hair. Since lice are visible to naked eye, they can affect the behavior and mentality of those who are affected, especially kids. You can treat and prevent head lice with these easy tips:
- Cleanse hair thoroughly every day. Use shampoos or rinses that also have antibacterial properties to protect scalp from lice.
- Brush hair often to get rid of flakes, dirt, and dandruff from scalp. Head lice like to live in a dirty, oily, and humid environment. You can control dandruff to keep your scalp clean with a suitable shampoo. Find out more about dandruff shampoos here:
- Clean brushes and combs regularly to prevent dirt and oil from collecting in each tooth.
- Avoid sharing clothing and personal accessories. Lice can be transferred through objects such as hats, clothes, combs, and towel. It is best to have a personal set of accessories and clothes for each member of the family. Teach your kids not to share or borrow their personal items too.
- Avoid lying in pillows, sheets, or bed of a person who have head lice.
- Make sure to always wear clean clothes. It is important to set a regular laundry schedule to avoid insects from living in dirty clothes.
- Having a clean house helps prevent head lice from thriving in scalp.
A clean scalp is a healthy scalp. Bacteria and insects live in dirty environments. Having a good hygiene will not only let you enjoy a clean scalp but it will protect your hair from becoming a nest of pests too. Head lice shampoos prevent infestation of head lice while improving your hair. They make hair softer, smoother, and more manageable. Look for the best head lice shampoo that will chase lice away for smoother tresses that shine.