If you have curly hair, you probably have a love-hate relationship with your curls. Some days you get perfectly defined curls and other days, you just wake up to a frizzy mess on top of your head. It’s alright to feel frustrated especially with stubborn tresses.
Curly hair is high maintenance. It may look pretty but it is only the result of several hours trying to perfect your curls. Let’s not forget how many products you have to put on your hair so it stays defined and shiny. And using heat might sound like a crime, but sometimes it is the only way you can get perfect curls.
Good for you, we know the secret to perfect curls – hair plopping. This technique works wonders on your hair. Curly hair is not the only hair type that can benefit from this. If you have fine hair, plopping might also work for you.
Why You Should Never Towel Dry
Frizziness is one of the worst issues curly girls experience. Curly hair is prone to frizziness, which makes it harder to manage. There are many ways and methods to dry hair. However, not all of them are good for your tresses.
Using a towel to dry hair is normal. It is the most familiar way to dry your hair. However, towel drying can cause serious damage to your tresses, especially if you have curly hair. Normal towels have thick fibers that rub against the strands. These fibers cause friction that lifts up the cuticles from the hair shaft. This allows air to pass through the cuticles and swell the strands, which leads to frizziness.
Towel drying does not only cause frizziness. It can cause hair damage and breakage as well. Towels become heavier as they get wet too. The weight can pull on strands, which leads to breakage. Since curly hair and kinky hair are brittle, they break easily. The coarse texture of normal towels can make your hair feel rough as well. The solution to this problem is hair plopping.
Want to flaunt your stunning curls? You can ditch tons of products and just use a conditioner for smooth frizz-free curls. Check out the various types of conditioners and their benefits for curly hair at the page below.
Benefits of Hair Plopping
Hair plopping is a method used by curly girls to dry hair. This method requires you to use an old t-shirt or a microfiber towel, which are safer for curly hair. Hair plopping dries your hair without heat and fuss. It also gives you the perfect shiny curls you’ve always wanted.
This heat-free drying technique lets your hair dry into its natural shape. It also reduces frizziness and breakage, giving you smoother and shinier curls. Here are benefits when you plop your hair:
- Hair plopping is an easy and no-fuss method to dry and style your hair. You don’t need to use heating and styling tools. Once you take out your hair, it is perfectly curly and dry.
- It helps reduce hair damage and breakage. Normal methods to dry hair like using towels, hairdryers, and air drying can cause damage. They expose hair to heat and friction, which makes your hair dry and prone to frizziness.
- Plopping your curls can help improve elasticity of strands. One of the biggest concerns when you use a hairdryer is that it speeds up the evaporation of moisture. This does not only make your hair dry. It can also reduce the ability of your hair to retain moisture, leaving you with thin and brittle strands.
- It can help prevent frizziness. Heat is one of the main factors that cause frizziness. Wavy, curly, and kinky hair are very dry and brittle. Even using a diffuser cannot save your hair from increased dryness and frizziness. Touching your hair while drying can give your frizzy hair too. Hair plopping allows your hair to dry in a confined safe space. This helps your curls stay defined without getting dry or frizzy at all.
- Hair plopping gives you the perfect defined curls without the fuss. When you dry your hair the normal way, you have to use tons of moisturizing and styling products. They help define the curls and make them stay that way. Plopping your hair allows the strands to form into curls naturally without putting on layers of formulas.
- It is easy to plop hair and does not take much time at all. Compared to other methods, hair plopping only takes a few minutes. You just leave it on hair and let it work its magic. This gives you more time to spend on other things while you dry your hair.
How to Plop Your Hair
Hair plopping is so easy to do! It gives you great curls without much fuss. Below are the steps on how to plop your hair.
- After shower, apply moisturizing and styling products on hair. Detangle using fingers or a wide-toothed comb.
- Take a t-shirt and lay it on the bed with the bottom facing you.
- Flip your head forward and place the entire length of hair in the center of the shirt.
- Wrap the bottom of your shirt around your hairline into your nape and secure. Take the top of your shirt and place it over your head. Tie the sleeves so the shirt covers your entire hair.
- Leave it on hair for 20 minutes to an hour. You can also leave it on overnight.
Applying moisturizers and styling formulas help condition your curls so they stay smooth and shiny all day long. Here are the various hair products you can use to style hair.
Tips to Maintain Perfect Curls
Hair plopping might give you the perfect curls, but it can still get disturbed throughout the day. Here are some tips that can help you retain smooth and shiny curls:
- Apply styling and moisturizing products before you plop your curls. This gives you shiny and smooth hair. Touching or styling your hair after can only disturb the curls and make it messy or frizzy.
- Use moisturizing spray products on hair throughout the day. Curly and kinky hair lose moisture fast. You should apply moisturizers all throughout the day. However, touching or combing your hair can disturb the curls. You should opt for spray products since the formula covers entire hair without disturbing the curls.
- Use protective styles that can help prevent frizziness and tangling. Protective styles protect the tips of your hair to reduce hair damage. This style requires the ends of your hair to be tucked in.
- Use thin cotton t-shirt to plop your hair. It doesn’t work like a towel, which you use to dry hair. While shirts absorb moisture, what they do is hold hair in place to reduce friction, which can disturb the curls.
- Keep your hands off your hair. Resist the temptation to touch and disturb your curls. It can only mess with the natural shape of your hair. Touching your hair also makes it frizzier, which means your curls lose their definition.
The hours you spend drying and styling your hair boils down to a few minutes. Best of all, you don’t have to use too much product or plug in your styling tools. Hair flopping is not just easy, it is also cheap! Try this method and fall in love with perfect, shiny curls.